Thursday, January 15, 2009

2009 AG District Enrollment

2009 Annual Agriculture District Enrollment

Authorized by New York State and administered by counties, an agricultural district can protect landowners and farmers from unreasonable local land use regulations, nuisance suits regarding legal farm practices, and some uses of eminent domain. It is not a zoning district, and does not regulate land uses or subdivisions.

Schuyler County landowners will have the opportunity to petition to enroll their land in one of three county agricultural districts from January 15 to February 15.

Each parcel submitted must consist of substantially viable agricultural land, which can be measured by current or recent past usage and soil types, and the request to include the land must be made in writing.

To request that your land be added to an agriculture district in Schuyler County, please send the request to:

Cornell Cooperative Extension, Schuyler County
323 Owego Street, Unit 5, Montour Falls, NY 14865.

For more information regarding agricultural districts, please see our website at or call (607) 535-7161.

New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets also provides information on the agriculture districts program at

If you have any questions regarding this process, please contact us at (607) 535-7161 and ask for Danielle, Rocky or Brett. We can also be reached at, or, respectively.

No comments: